Old Record Cover Black Chair


I had been watching ebay for a chair for my desk.
I had been using one of our dining room chairs in the interim.
Last week I was out driving and there it was on the side of the road.


So I stopped, got out and put it in the boot.
Not exactly the chair of my dreams, but it definitely had potential.

First of all I took the seat off and gave it a light sand all over as it was flaking a bit.

Then I applied 2 coats of flat black spray paint.
Spraying is so much faster and dries quickly and more evenly too.


However, when this paint dried, it left a black layer of dust and kept
smudging off on my hands.
So I ended up applying a coat of clear gloss spray paint which sealed the paint.

I decided to recover the seat.  Drop cloth had been the obvious choice,
until I remembered seeing a black and white cushion cover during
the week that I was going to throw out.


It was rescued, washed and matched perfectly!
I cut one side to size and stapled it in place underneath the seat.
Then screwed the seat back on.

Then I decided to add something to the back of the chair.
I was going to add some French script, but then I remembered these ...


Old Edison record covers!
So I picked out some graphics off one of the covers and applied them with Modge Podge.


Here is my finished chair!


Total cost was $2.50 for the spray paint.


I'm really happy with the result.


AND I rescued, recycled and repurposed!


:) Julie


FEATURED AT: