Welcome ...

Welcome ...

Friday, November 30, 2012

French 1 Franc Table and Black Chairs


I'm so excited to be sharing my most recent project with you ...

Here is the before ...

After painting the table white and distressing the edges and top to give an aged and worn look, I decided to add a French graphic from "The Graphics Fairy" website.  She is the only go to website for the most amazing vintage graphics. I loved this one as it was round to match the table.  I also loved it because it was rather simple to use the trace method of transfer.
So I uploaded the graphic to the "Block Posters" website to enlarge it.  I love this website because it is so easy to use, and its free! 

So after enlarging and printing if off on numerous A4 sheets of paper, I pieced and taped it together.  

I then found the centre of the table with my tape measure and placed a pin in it.  Then I tied a piece of string to a pencil and the pin, and tried to evenly draw a circle around the outside of the table.  I wanted to make sure I had the centre as accurate as possible and I also wanted to add a plain border to the graphic.  Then I folded my picture in half both ways to find the centre.  Then I pinned the pin to the centre of the paper, then the centre of the table.

Using a pen I traced the graphic, apply pressure and retracing as I went.  This left an impression on the table.  In natural daylight I could see the impression clearly and then traced it with a lead pencil.  I filled it in with grey paint and then sanded to give a distressed effect to the image.

And if you are wondering, those little leaves took a long time. In fact, I had planned to leave them off, but am so glad I didn't.  They didn't have to be perfect or all the same shape so it was actually not too time consuming.


To finish off the top of the table I applied 2 coats of clear furniture wax to seal and protect.


Next I tackled the chairs.  I decided to use only 2 of the 3 chairs, but may add the other one later.  Both were sanded and then given 2 coats of gloss black spray paint.  

I have always wanted black chairs.  And these are super shiny and look so updated from their bare wooden original appearance.  Again, another amazing spray paint transformation. :)

So now I just have to figure out whether to keep or sell.  I love the way they look in the sunroom.   And I'm thinking I could always use a drop cloth to cover the table so the kids can drawer on it without causing any damage.  Then take the cloth off for company or when I just feel like indulging myself with a morning coffee by the window. :) 

Can you see the board and baton wall behind the table in my sunroom?  I'm 80% finished and hope to blog that shortly.  Can I just say it has made a huge difference to the room!  I'm also super excited and looking forward to making a large furniture purchase over the weekend, but I'll keep that a surprise for later ... :)

Hope you all have a fun and creative weekend!  



I love sharing my projects at:
DIY Show Off   It's Overflowing PhotobucketMiss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog   Primitive and Proper homework  A Diamond in the Stuff  Shabby Art Boutique   handmade projects       Visit My 1929 Charmer Blog!  Decorating Insanity Fine Craft Guild  Chic on a Shoestring Decorating The Shabby Nest  Whipperberry 
 Our Delightful Home
Read More »

Thursday, November 22, 2012

New Lounge Room Curtains!

As you can see, we have large Plantation Shutter windows across our lounge room wall.  

I love them, but they looked a bit bare.

A while ago I had large drapes hung across them (hand sewn of course), but they seemed to make the room look smaller and didn't feel right.  

So they stayed bare for a while, until I saw a pic of some narrower curtains just on the sides of windows, more just for decoration.  And I do love to decorate! ;)

So this gave me an idea.  Uh-oh I could hear hubby saying. Not another "idea".

I had on hand some black curtain rod ends I had purchased for 20 cents a packet, unopened. And I had some spare white curtain rods and brackets, so I gave them a coat of black spray paint and taped them together with black electrical tape to the right length. (Let me tell you the tape worked a charm!)  The curtain I purchased at Freedom a few weeks ago in a sale basket for $3.50.  Yep, I could hardly believe my eyes either.  There was only one, but for that price, I knew I could use the fabric for something. 

I cut off the strip with the metal rings on it, then cut my single curtain in half.  I then hemmed all the loose edges.   

I had some spare white sheet fabric that I literally tore into strips leaving raw edges.  Then I evenly spaced and sewed them to the top of each curtain.  Then I double knotted them round the curtain rod ends.  

The curtain was a long drop to begin with, but after cutting off the ring top edge I wanted to give back a bit of length.  Enter my white sheet fabric again, in the form of a double layer ruffle. (I know, could do with an iron.) Otherwise, perfect!

I love how they add some texture and interest to an otherwise bare window.

So I now have some really cute quality curtains for the bargain price of approx $4.00.  :)

On a side note, the foot rest/seat in the calico fabric under the window is my Ikea knock off.  
Ikea Foot Stool

It's a chest underneath and the seat is made out of the padding of my son's old flip out lounge. Thankfully he hasn't missed it yet. ;)  I had to keep it a bit flatter on top as it would have been too high as a foot stool otherwise.  The fabric is calico which I sewed based on the Ikea style design with the fabric handles and pleated base.   Not a bad effort for approx $8 spent on fabric.

Read More »