Join me on my quest to RESTYLE, REPURPOSE and RECYCLE preloved furniture and home decor into treasures to be RELOVED. Along the way I'll show you how to REDECORATE your home using Vintage, French Provincial, Shabby Chic and Cottage styling. (Formerly Knot All That I Seam.com)
Here is our new range hood (and a sneak peak at my kitchen makeover). But let's focus on the installation of the range hood for this post. :)
This is our nasty old range hood.
It was so old and yellow that I painted it white in an attempt to make it look prettier.
Then I saw a Youtube video of how to install your own new range hood. It looked easy enough so I dragged hubby to Bunnings and told him we were getting a new range hood and I was going to install it. We chose a relatively cheap one, but one that would fit our space and do a reasonable job and provide better lighting over the stove area.
First job was to unscrew the old one. It literally involved unscrewing 4 screws and lifting it down. The cord had somehow been inserted up through a very small hole, so I just cut it to remove it.
Then I grabbed some baking paper and marked out the screw holes on the top of the new range hood. Then I taped the baking paper to the bottom of the cabinet and marked the screw holes I needed to drill. In hindsight I would have used a piece of cardboard as the baking paper turned out to be a bit flimsy and a couple of the holes were a few millimetres off after I drilled them.
I also drilled a bigger hole for the cord to be inserted up through.
Then it was simply a matter of screwing the new range hood up on to the bottom of the cabinet. I needed hubby's help for this one. We used a bin and some books to balance the range hood while we screwed. And ta-da, our new range hood was installed.
But the gaps on the side bothered me.
So I glued 2 planks of timber to bulk out the front so it would be flush with the side cabinets.
Then I cut out a piece of MDF to fit over the front and glue it all together. Then I caulked the sides so there were no gaps and painted it all.
This DIY project has made a massive difference to the look of our kitchen and I can finally tick replacing that nasty old range hood off the list. And the cost ... less than $100. Admittedly, the Youtube clip took 5 minutes and it took us around 2 hours. But hey, the time spent was worth it. :)